How much is tuition to the ASC Theatre Camp?
• Tuition is $3475 per session.
• Campers who attend both sessions receive a 10% discount on the total tuition amount.
○ In order to enroll in the College Credit Course and earn three college credits from Mary Baldwin University (transferable to other institutions) campers must pay the $1185 tuition directly to MBU.
○ The Extended Experience Week costs an additional $840 per camper. This amount covers room and board, costs associated with 24/7 staffing needs, continued access to all shows playing at the Blackfriars Playhouse, and the super special secret field trip.
I want to come to camp, but the tuition cost is a prohibitive factor for me. What can I do, and where do I start?
Don’t worry – we have several options in place for easing the burden of tuition. We want to make camp a reality for everyone, regardless of financial situation. With that said, the first step for everyone towards getting to camp is filling out an application. Applications are free to submit and have no strings attached; they cost you nothing but some time and effort, and they neither obligate you to attend camp nor guarantee you a spot at camp.
I filled out and submitted the application – now what?
We will review your application and contact applicants and their families regarding admittance. Applications are rolling until filled. Campers must be accepted in order to both register for camp and apply for financial aid.
I was accepted! Now what?
Congratulations on your acceptance! But you’re not done yet – after submitting the application and being accepted, parents and guardians must then register to secure their campers’ place in either session. Registration requires a $150 tuition deposit and guarantees your spot in the accepted session. Acceptance emails sent to campers and their families will contain a custom link to their personal registration form, as well as a link to the financial aid application. Families may apply for financial aid at any time after acceptance, whether before or after registering.
How is “registering” different from “applying”?
Registering is not the same as applying! As it says above, the ASC Theatre Camp does not charge an application fee (because applying to camp shouldn’t cost you anything), but accepted applicants must in turn accept their acceptances by submitting the registration form – which includes paying a $150 tuition deposit.
Registration is required to hold your place in either session. If you do not register and pay the $150 non-refundable tuition deposit, you may lose your place and move to our waiting list.
Please carefully review the registration checklists for both campers and parents.
Speaking of tuition – what are my payment options?
Accepted campers and their families have three registration options:
1. Pay tuition in full at the time of registration. This includes the $150 nonrefundable deposit. If you choose this option, the ASC will match your deposit with a $150 “One Time Payment” discount, bringing your tuition total to $3325.
2. Pay only the $150 nonrefundable deposit at the time of registration, and spread the remaining tuition balance over as many interest-free installments you need. The number of payments, amounts of each payment, and payment dates are entirely up to you, so long as tuition is paid in full by the session’s due date (see below).
3. Exactly the same as Option #2, with an additional step: apply for Financial Aid either before or after registering. The remaining tuition (less the financial aid award) may be spread out over multiple custom payments. Read more about our Financial Aid awards below.
Tuition must be paid in full by the session due date – the Monday two weeks before the session starts.
Session 1 Due Date: June 5, 2017
Session 2 Due Date: July 3, 2017
By default, all registered families with an outstanding tuition balance due will receive automatic payment reminders as the session due date draws closer. These emails will contain up-to-date account balance information and a link to the camper’s unique payment form.
What payment types does the ASC Theatre Camp accept?
We accept all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express) as well as checks, money orders, and good ole cash (though I don’t recommend sending cash payments in the mail).
Please make checks to the American Shakespeare Center and mail to:
American Shakespeare Center
Attn: ASC Theatre Camp
20 S New Street, 4th Floor
Staunton, VA 24401
Do you award Financial Aid?
Indeed we do. Thanks to the Scholarship Fund, partial tuition assistance is available to help ease the burden of tuition. Once a camper’s application has been accepted, they may apply for aid using the custom Financial Aid Application link contained in their acceptance email.
Financial Aid awards are not full scholarships.
- We do what we can with financial aid, but it’s important to know that financial aid awards will not cover the full cost of tuition.
- Financial Aid awards can help with up to half the cost of tuition, making $1737.50 the largest financial aid amount we are able to award.
- We are unable to provide travel subsidies.
- We accept Financial Aid applications on a rolling basis and send out case-by-case award offers until all aid has been distributed.
- Priority for Financial Aid awards will go to registered campers, but campers are not required to register before applying for Financial Aid.
NB: The ASC Theatre Camp is a rare and transformational program, and as such it requires the time and effort of a lot of very talented, dedicated people who deserve fair compensation for the work they do changing young lives. Camp requires resources like the Blackfriars Playhouse and the Mary Baldwin University campus. Safe and responsible residential housing requires round-the-clock adult supervision to ensure the safety and well-being of our campers, access to a variety of healthy dining options for three meals a day, dozens of bottles of sunscreen, hundreds of granola bars, thousands of band-aids. These things cost money. The tuition price tag, though significantly smaller than other comparable programs across the country and around the world, is still prohibitive for many.
The American Shakespeare Center has the luxury of being a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, which means the ASC is not gunning (or legally permitted) to make a profit – we’re not here to provide a payday for investors or anybody else. Camp tuition pays for the operating expenses incurred by camp. If for some reason we do make a profit, that money goes right back into improving and expanding camp and other ASC programming. The $3475 price tag of tuition isn’t about making money for the American Shakespeare Center. It’s simply what it costs to run a program like ours.
Do you provide any full scholarships?
The ASC Theatre Camp has two opportunities for campers to win full tuition scholarships to either session.
- The grand prize winner of the English Speaking Union National Shakespeare Competition wins a full scholarship to a session of camp.
- Everyone can enter the Shakespeare Sweepstakes for the chance to win a full scholarship to a session of camp. The winner of the 2017 Shakespeare Sweepstakes has already been announced. Entries will open for the 2018 Sweepstakes next February.
Campers can seek outside scholarship assistance from a variety of other sources. Check out the Fundraising and Scholarships page for information about external scholarships, along with some less traditional fundraising ideas.
If you are interested in making a donation to the American Shakespeare Center Theatre Camp Scholarship Fund, please contact Development associate Amanda Williams by email: email@example.com
We’ve already paid tuition but for whatever reason we cannot attend camp. What’s your refund policy?
ASC Refund Policy (as of December 9, 2016): The initial tuition deposit of $150 is non-refundable. If a camper withdraws more than 60 days from the start of camp, everything except that deposit is refundable. If a camper withdraws less than 60 days before the start of camp, 50% of tuition paid in will be refunded. If a camper withdraws 30 or fewer days before the start of camp, the ASC will not be able to provide a refund.
(Psssst – if you’re able, consider donating that paid tuition to our Scholarship Fund and help make the dream of camp a reality for students everywhere.)
I want to help send my grandson/neighbor/best friend to the ASC Theatre Camp. How do I do that?
You can use the Gift of Camp Form to make a contribution towards a specific campers’ tuition balance.
Can I apply for Financial Aid to use for either the College Credit Course or the Extended Experience Week?
No. Financial Aid awards cover only the cost of tuition for one or both of the ASC Theatre Camp sessions. They cannot be used to pay for College Credit enrollment of the Extended Experience week.